Current:Home > InvestMexican officials regret US decision not to retry American rancher in fatal shooting of Mexican man -Capitatum
Mexican officials regret US decision not to retry American rancher in fatal shooting of Mexican man
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 03:55:50
PHOENIX (AP) — Mexico’s top official in the Arizona border town of Nogales said Tuesday his country is displeased that prosecutors in the U.S. won’t retry an American rancher accused of fatally shooting a Mexican man on his property.
Prosecutors had the option to retry George Alan Kelly, 75, or drop the case after the jury deadlocked on a verdict last week and the judge declared a mistrial.
“This seems to us to be a very regrettable decision,” Mexican Consul General Marcos Moreno Baez said of the announcement a day earlier by the Santa Cruz County Attorney Office.
“We will explore other options with the family, including a civil process,” Moreno said, referring to the possibility of a lawsuit.
Kelly had been charged with second-degree murder in the Jan. 30, 2023, shooting of Gabriel Cuen-Buitimea, 48, who lived just south of the border in Nogales, Mexico.
Prosecutors had said Kelly recklessly fired nine shots from an AK-style rifle toward a group of men about 100 yards (90 meters) away on his cattle ranch near the U.S. southern border. Kelly has said he fired warning shots in the air, but argued he didn’t shoot directly at anyone.
Judge Thomas Fink said a hearing would be scheduled later to determine if the case would be dismissed with prejudice, which would mean it couldn’t be brought back to court. No new documents in the case had been posted by midday Tuesday.
Kelly’s defense attorney Brenna Larkin welcomed the decision not to retry her client.
“Mr. Kelly and his wife have been living through a nightmare for over a year, and they can finally rest easy,” said Larkin said Tuesday. “While that injustice to Gabriel and his family is unfortunate, we are at least pleased to know that the injustice will not be compounded by scapegoating an innocent man.”
Larkin said she was “curious about the Mexican government’s continued involvement in this case"" and noted that Cuen-Buitimea had been arrested and deported several times for illegal entry into the U.S.
Moreno said the consulate he heads in Nogales, Arizona, will continue supporting Cuen-Buitimea’s family. Consular officials sat with the victim’s two adult daughters during the trial.
The trial coincided with a U.S. presidential election race that has drawn widespread interest in border security. During it, court officials took jurors to Kelly’s ranch as well as a section of the U.S.-Mexico border.
veryGood! (52294)
Related
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- 13-year-old leads NC police on chase at over 100 mph in stolen car then crashes: Deputies
- Key points of AP report into missed red flags surrounding accused US diplomat-turned-Cuban spy
- A New Study Revealed Big Underestimates of Greenland Ice Loss—and the Power of New Technologies to Track the Changes
- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
- The 'food' you see on-screen often isn't real food. Not so, in 'The Taste of Things'
- How Jennifer Lopez Played a Part in Derek Hough and Hayley Erbert's Wedding Planning
- Shooting after Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl parade kills 1 near Union Station; at least 21 wounded
- 51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
- Beyoncé will grace the cover of Essence magazine
Ranking
- Shilo Sanders' bankruptcy case reaches 'impasse' over NIL information for CU star
- 2 arrested in 'random murder spree' in southeast LA that killed 4, including juvenile
- Rachel Dolezal fired from Arizona teaching job due to OnlyFans account
- Casino and lottery proposal swiftly advances in the Alabama Legislature
- Big Lots store closures could exceed 300 nationwide, discount chain reveals in filing
- Exclusive: Craig Counsell mourns his mother as first spring training with Chicago Cubs begins
- 'Black excellence at its best': Celebrating HBCU marching bands from musicianship to twerks
- Will Donald Trump go on trial next month in New York criminal case? Judge expected to rule Thursday
Recommendation
Big Lots store closures could exceed 300 nationwide, discount chain reveals in filing
Leopard Is the Print You Want To Be Spotted In- The Best Deals From Kate Spade, Amazon, J.Crew, and More
'A selfless, steady leader:' Pacers Herb Simon is longest team owner in NBA history
Caitlin Clark fans can expect to pay hundreds to get in door for her run at record Thursday
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
Illinois man dies instantly after gunfight with police officer, authorities say
One dead, 21 wounded amid shots fired into crowd after Kansas City Chiefs rally: Live updates
Australia's 'Swiftposium' attracts global intellectuals to discuss Taylor Swift